Give Away the Basket 2017-2018
deadline: April 30
We give away our Sunday offering twice a month to agencies in the community who are working for the greater good. We select four recipient organizations that receive roughly six offerings each.
This form is for members and friends to nominate potential recipient organizations.
The fair is on May 7 during social hour. We invite members and friends making a nomination to set up a table with promotional materials and to be available for conversation and questions during our social time together after the service. (This is optional).
Members vote to select recipients for the coming year. Electronic voting runs from May 14-May 21, in-person voting is held at the annual meeting on May 21.
- Read selection criteria at the bottom of this page. Fill out the form with your nominated organization’s information.
- Email this form to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30.
Electronic applications are strongly encouraged, but you may print this form and submit a hard-copy by hand or post to Rev. Teri’s box in the church office.
Thank you so very much for your interest and your commitment to make our world a better place!
Recipient organizations must generally meet the following criteria:
- Has 501(c)(3) status.
- Can demonstrate fiscal responsibility and accountability (could provide annual reports, audited financial statements, etc., if requested).
- Operates with annual budget of less than $500,000 (there may be exceptions to this, particularly in response to a timely and critical problem; e.g. donation to Red Cross following a disaster).
- Does work that contributes in some way to a more just, equitable, and compassionate community, in alignment with our mission and UU principles. This church has preferred to support local South Side and Chicago organizations.
- Is not controversial or political in nature.
- Is independent of the church or other UU organizations.
- Has not been a Give Away the Basket recipient in the past two years. The board may make exception under extraordinary circumstances.
Senior ministers retain discretion to postpone a collection or reduce the number of Sundays designated to accommodate unexpected needs (e.g., large-scale disasters)
- Nominations can be made at any time, by any member or friend of the congregation by completing a nomination form and obtaining seven members’ signatures in support. Please submit electronic completed applications to Julie Larson at email@example.com. Hard copies should be put in Rev. Teri’s mailbox in the church office.
- All nominations received by April 30th that meet the selection criteria will go on the ballot. Voting members of the congregation will vote electronically from May 14-21 or in-person at the Annual Meeting on May 21 at 11:30am.
- Each voting member will get to vote for four organizations.
Deadline: April 30th