First U is is entitled to send four delegates to the meetings of these three levels of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) – all in May and June.
- The Chicago Area Unitarian Universalist Council, CAUUC, includes the active UU congregations in the city of Chicago and its suburbs in Illinois and Indiana, and focuses on local activity.
- The MidAmerica Region includes the congregations located from the Rockies to the Great Lakes and from the Canadian border to the central plains and Ohio River valley.
- The UUA includes all UU congregations in the United States.
Never been? Since they’ll be relatively close by this year, it’s a good chance to give one a try! These meetings offer rich programming in social justice, leadership development, church operations, resources for religious education and worship, and more. They also include business meetings where delegates take part in making decision-making and debate. The most rousing debates generally involve social and environmental justice. For a change of pace, there are worship services, lectures, late-night dancing, early-morning politicking, and numerous chances to make common cause with other UUs from across the area, region, or country.
SERVING AS A DELEGATE: If you are a church member, or will be by the time a meeting takes place, you may be eligible to serve as a delegate. Download nominating petition forms here (CAUUC, due April 27; UUA, due May 4), either or both, or get paper copies from the church office or during Social Hour. Get signatures from 15 church members. Return completed petitions to the church office by the deadline on the form.
If there are more than four valid petitions for either meeting, the top four vote-getters in a congregational vote will become delegates, and up to four more will become alternates. In rank order, alternates get the chance to replace delegates who cannot attend or must leave a meeting before its business is done.
DATES AND DETAILS with links for 2018:
- CAUUC Spring Workshop and Annual Meeting, Saturday, May 12. At Countryside Church Unitarian Universalist, 1025 N Smith Street, Palatine IL. Starting at 9am, Spring Workshop: Collaboration on Leadership Development; at 1pm, Annual Meeting.
- MidAmerica Region Annual Business Meeting, Wednesday, June 20 at 4:30 pm. At the Kansas City Convention Center, Kansas City MO. Note: With GA occurring in our region this year, and less than two months after the region’s Annual Assembly is usually held, the necessary business of our region will be conducted in Kansas City a few hours before GA formally opens. This year only, on-site delegates to GA will serve as delegates to the MidAmerica business meeting as well.
- UUA 2018 General Assembly (GA), Wednesday, June 20, through Sunday, June 24. At the Kansas City Convention Center, Kansas City MO. Register and reserve accommodations online. Fees through April 30: $395 adults, $225 high-school aged youth, $150 off-site; May 1–June 24: $450/$260/$175. One-day on-site registration: $150/$95, $170/$110. Note: Delegates to GA may serve either on-site in Kansas City, or off-site from home or elsewhere. Only delegates with on-site credentials may be replaced by alternates, who must also be on-site.
PLEASE NOTE: First U is unable to pay or reimburse the cost of registration fees, meals, lodging, and transportation, and all attendees are responsible for completing their own registration. These expenses may be deductible, although only for delegates; consult your tax advisor.
QUESTIONS? For more on becoming a delegate, please contact Joan Pederson, Board of Trustees, at joanpederson (at) yahoo.com. For more on the issues being considered at each meeting, please contact Marie Cobbs, Denominational Affairs Committee, at marie.cobbs (at) att.net.