We give away our Sunday offering twice a month to agencies in the community who are working for the greater good. We select four recipient organizations who receive roughly six offerings each. All members and friends are invited to nominate potential recipient organizations. At the annual meeting in May, all members vote to select the recipients for the coming year.
- Read selection criteria below.
- Download and fill out the form (Word document) with your nominated organization’s information, and signatures of seven other church members or friends. Please note, signatures can be “virtual” — once you’ve received support, you may type in your supporters’ names.
- Send the form to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 6.
Electronic applications are strongly encouraged, but you may print this form and submit a hard-copy to Rev. Teri’s box in the church office.
Thank you so very much for your interest and your commitment to make our world a better place!
Recipient organizations must generally meet the following criteria:
- 501(c)(3) status.
- Can demonstrate fiscal responsibility and accountability; can provide annual reports, audited financial statements, etc., if requested.
- Operates with annual budget of less than $500,000. There may be exceptions to this, particularly in response to a timely and critical problem; e.g. donation to Red Cross following a disaster.
- Organizations whose work contributes in some way to a more just, equitable, and compassionate community, in alignment with our mission and UU principles. (In addition, this church has preferred to support local South Side and Chicago organizations.)
- Recipients are not to be controversial or political in nature.
- Recipients are independent of the church or other UU organizations.
- Repeat gifts: an organization shall receive only one allocation from the church every two years. (Exceptions to be made by board under unique circumstances.
Senior ministers retain discretion to postpone a collection or reduce the number of Sundays designated to accommodate unexpected needs (e.g.large-scale disasters).
- Nominations can be made at any time, by any member or friend of the congregation by completing a nomination form and obtaining seven members’ signatures in support. Please submit completed applications to Rev. Teri.
- All nominations that are received by May 6, 2018, and meet the selection criteria, will go before a congregational vote at the annual meeting.
- Each voting member will get to vote for four organizations.
Timeline this year:
- May 6, nominations are due. Electronic submissions are preferred.
- May 13, a summary document of all received nominations will be distributed at church with the order of service, and by email.
- There will be online voting from May 13 to May 21.
- May 21, ballots will be distributed at the Annual Meeting
- On May 28 and June 4, we will publicize the winning nominations!