Introduction: The position of Keyboardist at the First Unitarian Church of Chicago is an integral part of the church ministry and mission. This position is responsible for assisting the minister in the delivery, development, and promotion of the music of the church. It is currently a part-time staff position with primarily duties on Thursdays and Sundays.
Position Description:The Keyboardist will serve as the pianist/organist for Sunday services and other events by providing music for the support of congregational hymns, choir singing, and soloist as requested by the minister. This individual shall be a part of the planning, organizing, conducting, and evaluation of the church’s weekly music ministry. They will provide variety in the types of music presented, with contemporary music blended with traditional hymns and classical works. The purpose of the position is to facilitate an atmosphere of love and inclusion, and to assist in the direction, oversight, and coordination of piano/organ musical and artistic elements of worship services.
Primary Functions: The following is a general list of the basic duties of Keyboardist:
- Participate in the planning of music for Sunday services with the ministers and religious education staff.
- Work with the Minister in the development of meaning, effective and creative worship services to enhance the overall impact and experience of the service.
- Plays and accompanies all congregational singing, instrumental and choir performances for Sunday worship as well as special services as needed (e.g., weddings, funerals, Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve services).
- Selects and coordinates congregational songs with sermon topics and seasonal themes as requested by the minister.
- Orders all needed music and music supplies with the assistance of the Director of Operations.
- Secure maintenance and tuning for instruments as needed.
- Accompanies all choir rehearsal scheduled for the choir.
- Make fill-in arrangements when unable to perform duties as described during services or practices.
Job Skills & Requirements
In addition to passing a criminal background check as a condition of employment, the Keyboardist will:
- Be proficient in worship planning in coordination with the pastor.
- Be skilled a skilled piano/organ player playing. Possessing the ability to play and conduct congregation simultaneously.
- Display openness to a wide variety of musical styles.
- Have effective communications skills (both orally and written).
- Possess exceptional time management skills by being on time for practices, meetings, and church services, along with effective use of practice times.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Possess the people skills needed to relate to a diverse group of people including ministers, volunteers, musicians, church leaders and members.
- Have a clear concept what being an integral part of the church’s ministry means.
Supervision:The Keyboardist is supervised and guided by the church minister and adheres to the guidelines and terms of employment outlined in the personnel manual of the Board of Trustees of the First Unitarian Church of Chicago.
Hours and Salary: The position is part-time (estimated at 10 hours per week). Compensation shall be based upon experience and ability.
To apply: Please email a resume and short cover letter to Michael Knowles, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org