Update from the Return to Church Committee
The Return to Church Committee and Staff met on Friday, March 11 to discuss changes to our current guidelines for in-person gathering at First U. Our aim is, as always, to provide a safe space with respect for the most vulnerable among us.
The Board of Trustees and the Return to Church Committee have been monitoring the COVID-19 Dashboard for Chicago in order to assess the risk of holding in-person services and events on the church property. The COVID dashboard now shows that Chicago at the LOW RISK LEVEL.
As such, as of SUNDAY, MARCH 20, we present the following guidelines at First U:
Guidelines of Note for Sunday Worship:
- In-person Sunday services have resumed. We are pleased to see more members and visitors joining us on Sundays, and we continue to welcome Zoom attendees.
- Proof of vaccination is still required for Members and visitors as well. Vaccination cards will be required for entry into Sunday service. Cards must show that attendees have received at least two shots, and that two weeks must have passed since the last shot.
- Distancing is not required but adults should distance as they feel comfortable. Please ask and honor an individual’s or family group’s preferences to distance.
- Masks are optional at indoor and outdoor activities. Vaccinated children are not required to mask or distance.
- The Choir may practice and sing on Sundays with special singing masks. Contact Music Director Adam O’Dell at email@example.com directly with your questions about choir, including joining the Choir.
- The Congregation may not sing yet. Singing is still a high-risk activity. Music Director Adam O’Dell will provide updates on Choir and Congregant singing.
- Director of Lifespan Religious Education Elizabeth McCreless is contacting RE parents directly to discuss their children’s resuming in-person and outdoor activities. Contact Elizabeth with your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coffee Hour will resume in Hull Chapel with beverages and for now, individually-wrapped snacks. Again, please recognize varying levels of comfort with unmasking and distance.
- Welcome Luncheons for visitors and new members will resume on Sunday, March 20. The next Welcome Lunch is scheduled for Sunday, May 1. Masking and distancing are not required. Contact Lisa Martin-Eatinger if you would like to attend and/or host a Luncheon at email@example.com.
Other First U-related and non-First U meetings and events on Sundays or weekdays on the premises are also mask and distancing optional. We only check vaccination cards for Sunday services. We expect that group leaders and space users ask meeting participants to adhere to First U’s policy to require vaccinations for anyone using the premises.