Racial Justice Task Force
We are a group dedicated to raising consciousness about the nature of racism. We also seek to make multi-racial unity visible to the members and friends of First U. We do this through educational and cultural activities ranging from music outings to sponsoring an official Illinois celebration of the Emancipation Proclamation. For more information, please contact Finley C. Campbell at finleycampbell5222 (at) comcast.net.
The Racial Justice Task Force of the Social Justice Council has three interconnected goals:
- To educate our congregation and the public at large, through forums, dramatizations, sermons, classes, etc., about the ways that (the concept of) “race” and (the behaviors of) “racism” affect our lives, both in this country and around the world, in the social, economic, political, and especially the criminal justice, realms of our lives;
- To carry out actions opposing racism in all its forms, including letter writing and bearing witness projects, that demonstrate the principles of multiracial unity and our belief in the inherent worth and dignity of all people as the only means of bringing racism to an end;
- To invite people to join us, both in and out of the church, in building the work of the Task Force to eliminate all forms of racial intolerance and to increase historical awareness of the ongoing struggle against racism.
Each year the task force sponsors:
- The Emancipation Proclamation Pageant
- Multiracial Unity Award
- Multiracial outings
- Multiracial Unity films
- Demonstrations, letters and other actions to protest racism
The task force meets monthly.